Sunday, September 6, 2009

Pregnancy Journal: Week 1-15

Pregnancy Journal - More for my entertainment later on, but feel free to read :)

Week 1-4: When you decide to try and have a baby, you figure it will take a while for that to actually happen. This May, we decided to go for it. Well, after the first month of trying, I found out I was a fertile mertle - yikes! Just like that, one week of unprotected sex and boda bing - you are pregnant. Of course we didn't know right away. I felt a little funny about 1 1/2 weeks after but I figured I was making it up. We tried our first pregnancy test a few days earlier than recommended. I watched it for about 15 minutes and nothing came up. Then just as I was about to leave for work, I noticed there WAS a line there. Very faint but definitely there. I looked at it with multiple angles to make sure I wasn't just seeing things. But then, I read online that those can be false positives if you wait past the allotted time. So no confirmed "yes" or "no". So I decided to wait until at least the day before my missed period to try again. Same thing! No line for quite some time but then something faint showed up. And I could have sworn I felt pregnant. I was peeing ALL THE TIME! And I just felt "funny" - sort of off balance and loopy. So, to know for sure this time, we went in to my dad's office for a blood test (thank goodness for family business :). It came back POSITIVE right away!!! Holy crap - I WAS PREGNANT - weird - scary - excited - freaked - nervous - what did we do?? So we told most of our close family since we were headed to Lake Powell the next week. Everyone was excited. Dad thought we were buying another dog because Alex told him "Suka is going to have a little brother or sister." He said "isn't it a bit early" - "we have been married for five years?!?" - "but you just got the dog, are you sure you want another one?" - Oh dog, not talking about kids :) I think he was pretty surprised none the less.

Week 4-8: I think I was a lucky one - most people are so sick and I really didn't feel too bad. As long as I had something in my stomach at all times, I felt ok. But man, if I went longer than 2 hours without eating, it felt like I had been starved for months. Probably why I gained a quick 4 pounds - bummer. I look forward to having a belly and so people know you're pregnant and don't just think, "boy, she has gained some weight". Still had the dizziness and feeling off-balance. Oh and the fatigue - wow. Never have I taken so many naps. I would come home from work every day and lay on the couch, fall asleep until about 8, wake up for dinner that Alex so nicely cooked, then to bed. Sleeping is awesome! And then the boobs grew - wow did they grow fast! Ouch!

Week 9: I was working in the yard in the morning - felt a little sick, no new thing. So I snuck inside to grab some fruit snacks. About 5 minutes later in the backyard, I knew what was coming. Wet mouth, gross taste, and super queasy. Then boom - it all came back up - all over my backyard. And it didn't stop at that - my stomach was pretty empty but it seemed to think it was full of everything. At least I got a killer ab work out :) Oh, and Suka came out later in the day and where do you think he went first? Oh ya - right to the spot - ugh. I hate throwing up. I have come pretty close a bunch of times. Once in surgery when it was a bit bloody and the smell of iron got to my mask. Then another time in clinic when my boss didn't know I was pregnant. No trigger, just a sudden dry heave. It seems like my gag-reflex is at the top of my throat constantly. Smells, thoughts, sights, even sounds can set it off. I hope it goes away in a few weeks.

Week 10-12: Still in the first trimester. The list remains the same: starving all the time, boobs hurt, tired, taking many naps, now not fitting into my "skinny" clothes any more. Seemed a bit early for me but it hasn't changed much from week 6-week 16. Still fit into the same bigger pants. Went to Lake Powell over the 12 week mark. It was quite cool and I spent a bunch of time in the water. And I water skied the last day too :) Very carefully of course.

Week 13: End of the first trimester!!! Wahoo! We saw the little guy on the ultrasound, had a heart beat and feeling pretty good about things. Plus, hopefully the nausea and eating constantly will go away. Nope - So I had only thrown up the one time in the back yard. Around 13 weeks, I went into work on a Monday, after being in Lake Powell for the entire week previously. I was feeling all confident, that the nausea was going away. I didn't eat much for breakfast, especially compared to what I was eating in Lake Powell. I was talking with a coworker and started feeling sick - over about 5 minutes it progressed into wet mouth and dry heaving. I rushed into the public bathroom and lost it. Sick - pucking in a public bathroom requires skill. I didn't look too closely at anything, only touching the wall, and squatted down. It really sucked.

Week 14-15: The hunger is dwindling. I don't feel starving even after eating. However, my diet still isn't normal. I pretty much eat what looks good, which isn't always the healthiest but it's not like I eat donuts everyday! Only once a week :) Cravings for me have been salt and bread. I could eat pasta noodles with melted cheese and salt every night. My real craving is for french fries - I ate my fair share early on but am slowing down! Popcorn, quesadillas, toast, etc - all delicious.

I will be 16 weeks this Wednesday. I finally can tell that I am pregnant and not just fatter. Although others can't really tell yet. If I really relax, it sticks out. But out of habit, I mostly suck in. I still can wear my clothes, except the pants that I couldn't wear since 6 weeks. I have a few pair that I just rubber-band. And I am finally daring to wear a few fitted shirts again, mostly around family. I can't wait for a belly that really looks pregnant. My boobs have stopped growing for the time being, but I think they about doubled. I am probably a big D - not sure what comes after that.

In two days we will find out if it is a girl or boy - and then let the splurging begin!!! We have been really good and have only bought a humidifier shaped like a frog - mostly for me right now since I am so stuffy, but it will have multiple purposes. Haven't bought any clothes, strollers, nothing - amazing for us, I know :)

3 comments:

Sanders Family said...

Andrea-
So exciting. I bet you are the cutest pregnant women. I am guessing by what you are craving that Baby Barker is a BOY!
Can't wait for you to find out!
-Melanie Barton Sanders

The Greenwoods said...

Andrea I love your little journal idea!!! I would love to get together with you sometime!!! My guess is a BOY!!!

amy jo said...

Way to go Andrea! I like this idea of a journal, of course.